Thanks for your help.  Here is some more information:

I am running the process from the command line as root.  I also tried
several different ports, all with the same result.

I don't think you need any special permission to bind to a port above
1024. If so, I couldn't find anything out about it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
- Devon