"_lallous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I guess if strlen() fails it returns 0 and if string has no length then it
> also returns zero.
>
> I don't think PHP's strings are zero terminated.
>
> $str = "abc\xab\x00defgh";
> echo $str;
> outputs: abc½ defgh
>
> and doesn't truncate the string.

    Thanks. I guess I should have tried that to see what
    happens. Interesting.  I guess both C and php use
    an array of char. The difference is that there is no length
    attribute in C arrays, so you have to mark the end with \0.
    php arrays have a length attribute, so \0 terminator is
    unnecessary.

--
John A. Grant  * I speak only for myself *  (remove 'z' to reply)
Radiation Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa