> if i understand you correctly, perhaps this:
>
> select * from categories a,category_user_rights b where
a.name!=b.username;

> jack

When i do something like that I get loads of duplicate records including the
ones that should be there!  so if i do a group the result just looks like
i've selected everything...

here's my query for getting all the (sub)categories that DO have an entry in
"category_user_rights"...  Somehow i need to reverse it to pull out
everything but what it's returning at the moment! :o(

        $sql  = "SELECT categories.ID, categories.title, categories.code ";
        $sql .= "FROM categories, category_user_rights ";
        $sql .= "WHERE categories.parentcat_INC = $cat ";
        $sql .= "AND categories.ID = category_user_rights.category_id ";
        $sql .= "AND category_user_rights.username = '$username'";

        $result = mysql_query($sql);