Hello,
Ok, this works:

if (substr($sString,(strlen($sString)-1)!="-")) {
print "You can't have a dash at the end of your string.";
}

and this works:
if (substr($sString,0,1)!="-") {
print "You can't have a dash at the beginning of your string.";
}

But, this doesn't work for any case:
if ((substr($sString,(strlen($sString)-1)!="-")) or
(substr($sString,0,1)!="-")) {
print "you can't have a dash at the beginning or end of your string.";
}

What could be wrong?  I've used a logical OR operator in the middle of an IF
statement like this before, but for some reason, this just isn't working.
Anyone got any ideas?  I suppose I can just evaluate this with two different
IF statements, but it seems like I shoud be able to do it in one and reduce
duplicate code.  Thanks very much in advance.

.....Brad