Thanks for your reply.

But I tried it and it seems to pass right through the if condition without
checking if the string is empty or not.  Here is another PHP file where I
tried using the "empty" function

The input form contains the following:

<h2>QTY:</h2><input type="text" name="qty" size=7><br>

Here is the part that checks whether or not the user has pressed
"submit" and checks if "$qty" is empty or not:

if (isset($submit)){
        if (!empty($qty))
        {  echo "Please enter the quantity for your quotation enquiry.";}

When nothing was filled in for $qty the if condition did not prompt me to
enter a quantity.

Any suggestions?

thanks.