From the manual:

Unlike include(), require() will always read in the target file, even if
the line it's on never executes. If you want to conditionally include a
file, use include(). The conditional statement won't affect the require().
However, if the line on which the require() occurs is not executed, neither
will any of the code in the target file be executed.

Similarly, looping structures do not affect the behaviour of require().
Although the code contained in the target file is still subject to the
loop, the require() itself happens only once.