1. Just re-compile with the same options as before, just without
--with-apxs or --with-apache (however you did it before). Run make all
install and a php binary should be installed in $PREFIX/bin (default:
/usr/local/bin). Then to use it to run shell scripts, put
#!/usr/local/bin/php -q at the top of every php shell script.

2. Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as the process doesn't take
longer than 5 minutes to execute ;)

Mike