"Jim Lucas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
022901c15dbd$76a34c20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:022901c15dbd$76a34c20$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> try this
>
> <?
> system("php.exe <filename>", $output);
> echo $output;
> ?>
>
> make sure you put the correct paths to the .exe and file  otherwise it
will
> think that it is realtive to where you are in the file system.

    Thanks Jim (and to DNeil and David).

    Short answer: I got it working ok

    Long answer: I guess I wasn't very clear... Let me explain...

    Up until now I have been creating php pages to run on our
    departmental php-enabled server. Now I want to run php
    locally on my NT system to generate *.html pages from those
    *.php pages (to include the *.html pages on a CD).

    I started to run php406_installer.exe on my system and
    it started asking questions about my server (upload and
    temporary directories). I figured the package was just for
    use with a server on my system so I cancelled the install.

    I had another go at it and told it "no server" and it installed
    fine. Then I had a look at the install directory. Wow!! It's just
    a couple of files - very compact. I thought it might be like a
    Perl install with tonnes of stuff.

    Anyway, I tried it out and it works just fine:
        php -q xxx.php > xxx.html
        php -q yyy.php > yyy.html

    So I can now generate the *.html files from *.php. Then I
    run a batch editor on them to replace links to *.php with
    links to corresponding *.html files.

    Thanks.

--
John A. Grant  * I speak only for myself *  (remove 'z' to reply)
Radiation Geophysics, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa