why? if your thinking the db may give the wrong answer, postgres does a bery
good job of this. if your super worried, well use mysql, they lock the table
when a field is being inserted, updated, or deleted. if you want todo this
for some other strange reason, do it the easy way.

<?php
- if file 'busy.tmp' doesnt exist
- - write a file 'busy
- - do something