Regarding your mysql_insert_id() function:

I believe that it works on a connection by connection basis.  Therefore, if
you execute an insert, and then call that function, you are guarenteed to
have the correct ID.  Look up the LAST_INSERT_ID() function in the MySQL
manual on www.mysql.com for more information.

-Jason Garber
IonZoft.com