Well, I don't know either but I was thinking about that...
Usually this "$lineno = __LINE__" would be avaluated when the function is
called, this mean it gives the __LINE__ of the function call itself.
Why don't you try a more simple "include"/require instead of calling a
funcion ?(see example)
but maybe it will return the value "LINE 1" in the included file... I don't
know...

that is:

...code...
include("line.php");