I think mixing of the web application's and the host's operating
system's authantication is not the best thing (if you don't exactly
need that)

The $isLogged variable that is stored in the session is perfect as
long as you check that it is came from the session
($HTTP_SESSION_VARS) and you know that no one can access and write
into your session files (open_basedir, and safe_mode in php.ini).

        Arpi