It may not work, if you are running Windows PHP on your localhost at home.
I'll bet you are trying to log getenv('REMOTE_HOST').
Been there done that. I use http://www.indigostar.com/microweb.htm to create a
localhost to develop and debug and then upload to the server. (I pay for modem
time.) I remember this not working if I used it at home.

Are you sure you are not looking for getenv('REMOTE_HOST') in addition to
getenv('REMOTE_ADDR'} You may want this instead. Here's some of my code:

<?php
$machine = getenv('REMOTE_HOST');
if(!strpos($machine, "collegesherbrooke.qc.ca"))
{
include "exterior.html";
}else{

echo "<FRAMESET cols=\"200,*\">
  <FRAME src=\"index_tree.html\" name=\"treeframe\" >
  <FRAME SRC=\"college.html\" name=\"basefrm\">
</FRAMESET>";
}
?>