D'oh!!!

That's what I get for trying copying and pasting with Mandrake's screwy
./configure line!  An oddly altered php.ini file was indeed the problem.

Seems obvious in retrospect -- php.ini was trying to load Mandrake's old
dynamic modules that are already static in my new PHP Module, so all sorts
of duplicate functions and incompatible modules show up.

THANKS!!!

--
Like music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm