Jean-Arthur Silve wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I use the file function for accessing to pages on another server.
>
> It works perfectly.
>
> But if the server does not respond or is too long to send datas, the file
> function wait too long..
>
> Is there a way to tune the time out ?? I would like that id the server
> does not respond, the function return in few seconds only.
>
> I thought to a solution using :
>
> set_time_limit(2);
> register_shutdown_function(func);
> file(myurl);
> set_time_limit(30);
> func();
>
> In this example if the file function takes more than 2 seconds, then
> func() would be called. If the file function does not time out, then then
> func is called too...
>
> But may be there is a cleanest way to do this (I checked the manual,
> somethink like socket_set_timeout), in the way that if the time function
> timed out then the script continues normally, returning an error:
>
> tuning the time out(2);
> $f=file(myurl);
> if ($f==false)
>          // Timed out
> else
>          // ok

Use http://php.net/fsockopen, as suggested, *BUT* use the recently added
optional arguments to it.  You will need to have a reasonably current
version of PHP to do this.

The socket_blocking and socket_timeout are only useful *AFTER* you've
opened the socket.

--
Like music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm