On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 04:08, Ben Clumeck wrote:
> I am trying to convert an ip address to a computer name.  Then I am
> putting it into the mail() script.  However, when I do this it come up
> blank.  I am putting $r_hostname in the mail() script.  Can anyone tell
> me why its not working?  The script I am using is:
> <?
> $r_hostname = gethostbyaddr($REMOTE_ADDR);
> if ($REMOTE_ADDR == "$r_hostname");
> echo "$r_hostname";
> ?>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben

Remember that not all IP adrresses will resolve to a hostname. That said,
there may be a flaw in your logic in the code snippet above :-)

What you are saying is:

gethostname for IPADDR;
if HOSTNAME = IPADDR
print HOSTNAME

which will only work if the resolved hostname is the same as the IP
address; I suspect that is not what you want?

--
David Robley      Techno-JoaT, Web Maintainer, Mail List Admin, etc
CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES      Flinders University, SOUTH AUSTRALIA

   Bald: follicularly challenged.