"David Robley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:52, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> > David Robley wrote:
> > > The OS will take care of this by firing up another instance of
> > > your script. All you need to do is be aware of the possibility of
> > > multiple instances doing ?things? at around the same time and make
> > > sure that you don't have say several instances all writing to the
> > > same file at the same time - use locking where it is not provided by
> > > the tool you are using.
> >
> >     About the only worry I have there is the interaction with the
> > database itself.  If two scripts start accessing the db for writing at
> > the same time, I can smell trouble, yes.
>
> That'll be something else burning, then. The DB should be able to handle
> that sort of thing just fine. It is what they are supposed to do, after
> all :-)

Exactly.  It sounds like you're doing INSERTs so unless you're doing an
UPDATE or SELECT that can give unexpected results if another instance of the
script is running at the same time or you have other scripts accessing the
same files/tables that may run at the same time you're ok.  If there are
potential conflicts look at explicit LOCKing in the database.  FYI,
potential problems related to database and file writes are not just a
product of piping to a script - the same potential exists in web pages doing
the same things when multiple users can access scripts manipulating the same
tables/files simultaneously.

--
Steve Werby
President, Befriend Internet Services LLC