Yes, but unless you're doing something like a shopping cart, php
sessions are probably overkill.

For this all that he needs to do is have a login box that checks to
see if the username/password are ok, and saves them in a cookie  if
they are.

then at the top of every script you load the user's preferences if
the cookie is there and set a variable ($preferences maybe).

Then, if $preferences is there, you show the edit button.