If you have built the php standalone binary then its easy-

#!/usr/local/bin/php
<?php
// your php code here
?>

What I do when I build php is build it twice. First I build it with all my
options EXCEPT for with-apxs=/blah
That builds the standalone binary, and I install that in /usr/local/bin

Then, I build the apache module and install that where my apache modules
go.
This allows me to use php as a regular unix scripting language, so I can
do stuff from the crontab.

btw- I'm actually doing a very similar thing-
I have some customer support software that pops my support e-mail address
and puts the message in a MySQL database.

I have a cron job that calls a php shell script that pops the e-mail for
me every 15 minutes.
That way I don't have to log on to the support application as often, and
the customers get an automated response fairly quickly, giving them a
unique case ID etc.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:04:21 EST
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mentioned: