Hey folks,

I am having some annoying problems with building PHP 4.0.6 as a DSO. In
summary, Apache is not finding various library files that the libphp4.so
wants...

First I built Apache 1.3.22 w/ mod_ssl. That all went smooth. Built it in
/usr/local/apache

SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.6b \
RSA_BASE=../rsaref-2.0/local \
./configure \
--enable-module=ssl \
--prefix=/usr/local/apache \
--enable-shared=ssl \
--with-perl=/usr/bin/perl \
--enable-module=rewrite \
--enable-module=so \
--enable-module=userdir

Then I configured PHP:

./configure \
  --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs \
--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/apache/conf \
--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \
--with-pgsql=/usr/local/pgsql \
--with-oci8=/u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/OraHome1 \
--with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl \
--enable-bcmath \
--enable-calendar \
--with-bz2=/usr/bin/bzip2 \
--enable-ftp \
--with-xml \
--enable-track-vars \
--enable-trans-sid \
--enable-shmop \
--enable-sockets \
--enable-wddx \
--with-gd \
--enable-gd-native-ttf \
--with-jpeg-dir \
--with-freetype-dir \
--with-ttf \
--with-gettext \
--with-gmp \
--with-iconv \
--with-readline \

Did make and make install, and copied over the php.ini file. All worked fine.

Then I ran Apache:
  [root@megatron bin]# ./apachectl startssl
Syntax error on line 207 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so into server: libpq.so.2:
cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory
./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

Took me like 20 minutes to figure out that that libpq.so.2 is a Postgres
library. The file is in my /usr/local/pgsql/bin. Searched mailing list
archives and the consensus answer was to add /usr/local/pgsql/lib to the
bottom of my /etc/ld.so.conf  and then run /sbin/ldconfig to read in the
new config.

I then ran Apache again:
[root@megatron bin]# ./apachectl startssl
Syntax error on line 207 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
libmysqlclient.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
./apachectl startssl: httpd could not be started

Now, if I add the path to that library to the /etc/ld.so.conf, I get
another error because it can't find the next module.

My gut feeling is that I am doing something wrong because it makes no sense
to add every single library it needs to the /etc/ld.so.conf file. I have a
feeling that that is not good for performance either. Is there another way
to go about this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give :)

--Jon