I had a script that was running beautiful that simply called up a database
and displayed the results in tables.  I went to add images to this script
and all hell broke loose.  This is the portion of the script that I added:

----------

//filename is the item number + t.jpg -- t shorthand for thumbnail

  $itemnumber = "$myrow[item_number]";
  $filename = "$itemnumber t.jpg";

//if the file exists then print it.  Otherwise print a generic image saying
it doesn't exist.

 if(file_exists(/images/$filename))
 {
  readfile(/images/$filename);
 }
 else
 {
  readfile(images/npat.jpg);
 }

---------

Is there anything I need to know about "file_exists" that I'm not doing.
for some reason when this code is added it gives me an error on the line
after the close of the else statement.  That line was perfectly fine before
the addition.  Please help.

-Jordan