Isn't it called php.ini-dist first?  Excerpt from the INSTALL file that
accompanied my PHP 4.0.6 dist:

"Next you must copy php.ini-dist to the appropriate place (normally
/usr/local/lib/php.ini) and edit it as necessary to set PHP options."

Of course, this doesn't matter if you're appending a wildcard to your
search ( 'php.ini*' ).

Erik