If you are just starting into PHP, try some something more basic. If you
have some background into another language such as PERL, then you shouldn't
have too much trouble. However, if you insist to taking on a bulletin board
script for analyzing purposes, head over to hotscripts.com where I'm sure
there is a few tutorials and many boards from the simplistic recursive
wwwthreads style boards to the vertical setup like infopop and UBB.

I've coded up BlazeBoard script last year and I must say, that majority of
the work is getting the cool features rather than developing a foundation of
the board. All a board does is input/output data from the database. So first
step to take would be developing a core registration module, then utilizing
it, authenticate the user so they can post to a forum, then build the module
to retrieve the data.

Of course there are other factors to consider on the complexity of the
board, that is if you want to consider the ability to create more than one
board for a forum or be able to categorize it. These are really features,
and doesn't represent the core system of any board.

Regards,
Jonathan Chum

http://www.flaap.com
Flash resources