First of all, thanks to John, Emek and Phil.

Glad to see unanimity about it being a server config problem.
However:
I have tried .php and .php4 extension without any luck. Didn't try  .php3
because was giving for granted their setup is newer than two years ;-))
OK, I'll try that too

>....have you tried it with a
> PERL-style shebang line at the top of your scripts? Give something like:
>
> #!/usr/bin/php -q

On a WinNT/IIS box? I'll try, but never read anything like this...

Anyway, the sysadmin just emailed that he is going to check: we'll see. In
the meantime, anybody with a working php.ini file for IIS please send it (to
me of course, not the list)

        TIA,
                        mweb