For a split this simple, I'd recommend using explode("|", $data). split()
uses a regex for the first character (and as others have said, the pipe is
a metacharacter in a regex, so you'll need to use "\|" instead of "|"),
whereas explode() is simply literal. explode() will probably be slightly
faster, too, since it doesn't need to compile the regex, etc., although the
difference will probably be infintesimal.