In a revised scheme for a customer I'm doing # 3.

User can come into any page, a bit of PHP at the top does this:
starts session
registers "origin"
assigns PHP_SELF to $origin
checks to see if another session var is set and directs to logon page if not
    if( !session_is_registered( "member_id" ) ) { header("Location:
logon.php\n")};

    Where they are logged on and member_id is set. There's nothing magic
about member_id, it's simply a token and has no content. After
authentication the user is returned, via a header command, like so:
    header("Location: $origin");

If authentication fails they loop on the logon page, which has links to
a  registration and lost my password  forms.

The neatest part of this is that any page can be protected from
unauthorized viewing merely adding a bout 6 lines of code at the top and
saving it with a php rather than html extension.

Regards - Miles Thompson
http://www.cqagroup.ca