PHP is a good language for creating PDFs.  There are two libraries you can
use, PDFlib and ClibPDF.  I have used PDFlib before and I can recommend it.
Look in the PHP manual at PDFlib functions.  Incidentally, if it's for a
commercial project, then PDFlib or ClibPDF will probably need licensing.

PDF is a great format, it's page independant, so you can load and view page
1 of the file, before you have downloaded page 2.  It contains image
handles, so you can insert an image on page 1 (say a logo), and then use a
link to it on the second page (so you the file size only goes up a few bytes
each time you add another copy of the picture).  You can also print it
directly.

Mail me off list if you need to create a large number of PDFs quickly.

Dave.