not as a criticism, but this is among the top 10 questions asked ...or used
to be for a while...anyway, there's tons of info on the mailing lists,
marc.theaimsgroup.com
the short answer is that echo is SLIGHTLY faster being a language construct
rather than a function...then again, i believe i remember someone proving the
opposite...in general, you'll never notice a differenece between the two...