Is it true that mixing HTML and PHP--switching back and forth with
<?php ?>  tags--slows down performance? (I'm using PHP4.) Is it better
to echo output than to drop out of PHP mode?

And concerning database connections, my ISP asks that I always close a
MySQL connection with a mysql_close()--which I can understand. But I'm
curious, if I have to make, say, 10 SELECTs throughout a page (in the
header, body, and footer), is it perhaps faster to use the mysql_close()
at the very end of the page (in the bottom of the footer.inc)? In other
words, is there any disadvantage performance-wise (or stability reason)
to open and immediately thereafter close mysql connections?

Can anyone recommend an article or two on coding techniques for
improving PHP and MySQL performance? I don't wan to spend the rest of my
life optimizing my php code, but if I knew a few basic rules about its
performance characteristics, I might be able to make better decisions
when coding. Thanks.

...Rene

---
René Fournier,