Hi again,

A few days ago, I sent in an inquiry  (see below) about how to make the date
field in mysql read NULL when the corresponding form field was empty. I
tried the suggestions I received and the following if statements all seem to
still result in a default 0000-00-00 instead of NULL.

/ this enters NULL if event_date is empty

if ($event_date == "") $event_date = '\0';

if ($event_date == "") $event_date = "\0";

if ($event_date == "") $event_date = \0;

if ($event_date == "") $event_date = NULL;

if ($event_date == "") $event_date = '\0';

// here's the insert statement
mysql_db_query("$db", "insert into $table (id,
approved, author, title,
featured, keywords, description, content, type, category, datetime, country,
region, event_date) values(null, '$approved', $author, '$title',
date_add('$datetime', interval $featured day), '$keywords', '$description',
'$content', '$type', '$category', '$datetime', '$country', '$region',
'$event_date')");

I'd really appreciate your suggestions and help. I can work around this
result, but it's really bugging me now why I can't get the word 'NULL' in
the date field when the corresponding form field is empty.

thank you, Shawna