I'm in a smilar situation. I'm trying to telnet to a
RAS server using php and the process justs hangs. I
tried to telnet to other linux servers as well and the
result was same. fsockopen to other ports such as 21
or even 25 workds. It's just the port 23 that's giving
this strange problem.

So far I haven't got a clue.