I'm trying to create a function that will generate output that could go to
either a file or to the current browser directly. To do this I have something
like:

function GenerateOutput($out)
{
        fwrite($out, "Some stuff");
        fflush($out);
}

and to call it I tried:

        $stdout = fopen("php://stdout", "w");
        GenerateOutput($stdout);

But for some reason nothing shows in the browser when I do this.

I can't seem to find information about what output stream "printf" is actually
writing to. Do we have access to this stream?

Can anyone provide a hint as to why the above doesn't work?

Thanks.