Well, what you have said here isn't that clear, however consider the
following revised code:

$teststr = strtoupper(substr($xmbrcode,11,1));
if(($teststr != "B") && ($teststr != "P") && ($teststr != "H") && ($teststr
!= "O")){
        do..
}

What you are doing is executing the substr and strtoupper many times, which,
on a slow connection which may have backlog (thus slower time for the html
stream buffer to be delivered), it could timeout.

More detail on a: the error, and b: the code *in context* would help.

Regards,

James Cox