snip

>Look into qmail/ezmlm for a good combination, along with the tied & true
>majordomo list manager. I've been running some large mailing lists using the
>ezmlm/qmail combo - which easily saturates a T1 connection running just a
>350 MHz PII.

I'd say mailman. I know sourceforge.net is running mailman on a few lists
I'm subscribed to. mailman is fairly easy to setup.

Majordomo has had quite a few security issues and isn't really easy.

A few large lists I know are running qmail/ezmlm.. lists like BUGTRAQ
(securityfocus.com) and the MySQL mailinglist (mysql.com) are running ezmlm.
If you plan to use a database, I know ezmlm can be used with one.. I think
I remember it's still considered experimental.

Bye,

B.