Coming from a Windows background, I am having difficulty understanding
rpm's, compiling, and making packages.  My hope is that someone will
have the patience to take me through the steps, since the HowTo's are
out of date and do not address my current Red Hat 7.2 environment.

With Red Hat 7.2 installed, Apache is installed along with PHP 4.0.6,
however, Interbase is not installed   Here is what I have done so far:

I did a "rpm -qa | grep php" and found the rpm that was
installed.(php-4.0.6-7).  When I tried "rpm -e php-4.0.6-7", I received
a list of php modules that were dependent on it.  So, I "erased" each of
those and finally did the "rpm -e php-4.0.6-7".  Then I put
php-4.0.6-7.src.rpm into /tmp and did a "rpm -i php-4.0.6-7.rpm" which
put a tar'd file into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.

I did "tar -xzvf /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/php-4.0.6pl1.tar.gz" which
created a directory /tmp/php-4.0.6.  I cd'd into that directory and did
a ./configure --with-interbase=/opt/interbase
--with-apache=/usr/include/apache

After quite a period, I received a "Thank you for using PHP" message.  I
followed this with a "make" and a "make install".

Now Apache does not respond to a "testphp.php" script that contains
"phoinfo()" and it use to.

What have I missed.........????

Todd

--