You will need to use the following techniques:

* In Apache you will need to enable mod_rewrite module
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html
this allows you to "remap" URI to any script, in your case you'd probably
want and request to "/news" to be mapped to for example /news.php etc.

* In your script you will need to parse the URI via the "REQUEST_URI" server
variable.

Basically what you're doing in your apache is saying: "Pass all requests to
the URI to this instead" note that this will not affect the URL display in
your browser.

This is similar technique to making search engines index your site. I've
written replies to this subject a while back check it out here:

(Note that apparently my code in this post has some problem so..)
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/php-Users/373430

OR a better example here:

Building Dynamic Pages With Search Engines in Mind
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim19990117.php3

Revisited: Build Dynamic Pages With Search Engines in Mind
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000526.php3

HTH