Am 04 Jan 2002 12:49:41 +0100 schrieb Berlina:
> Yes, Im thinking the same...
> :-((
>
> Thanks again Intruder

mysql_pconnect()
> > function (or it's analog for your db engine)
> > but still I don't think it is possible ;(((
> > Only applications can make this for you NOT PHP and Web ;(((

I don't see the problem? What do you really want to do?

Can't you go and use php sessions to save data generated in multiple
pageviews of the web application, and when you finished all data
collection from the user, at the last page you go and make your DB
transaction to save all the data.
If you worry that some data could be changed in the meantime you can
even add a timestamp column in your database and check if it's still the
same before doing something like, e.g. updating a database row on the
last page.
So i don't see why a transaction _must_ live over multiple pages and not
only start on the last one when input is finished.

Anyway, the last sentence is double wrong - you can make _real_ GUI
application with php-gtk, see gtk.php.net, and then, i can think of web
applications that _could_ do something like that, even if I don't know
one that does it - sure you could create a server side, web based
software that would let db connections and even transactions alive even
after a request and sending out the answer is done(which is the way php,
CGI Programs, and i suppose nearly all other Web based software works),
save the state of db connections as session data and use the same
database connection again with the next request, but i think that brings
some problems.
E.g. I could fire thousands of programs that stay alive on the server
just by sending some http requests - that wouldn't be very nice for
folks runnning the webservers.

Writing more clearly what the purpose of all that is migth bring me
another view of this all...

greets,
henning