This only works if PHP is installed as an Apache module on the Linux/UNIX
platforms.

>From the docs:

One additional note about PHP: if PHP is installed as an Apache module on
the Linux/UNIX platforms, there are additional global variables available to
your PHP script:

$PHP_AUTH_USER -- Authenticated User name
$PHP_AUTH_PW -- Authenticated Password
$PHP_AUTH_TYPE -- Authentication Type

Additionally, your PHP program can force Apache to prompt the user for a
username and password with the following PHP commands:

header('WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="My Private Stuff"');
header('HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized');
echo 'Authorization Required.';

>From then on, your application logic can decide how to respond to the user.
Note that on the Windows platform, PHP is installed as a CGI, and these
features are therefore not available.