I have a client which edits all his PHP pages as HTML files in MSFT Front
Page. That's not been a problem until now, as the pages are all straight
HTML except for a bit at the very top.

Here's the problem. We need this line at the top of the page, ahead of the
<HTML> tag, for an automatic login routine:

<? session_start();session_register( "origin" );$origin=$PHP_SELF;  ..and a
bunch of stuff ... ?>

Front Page insists on doing this to the line:

<? session_start();session_register( "origin" );$origin= " $PHP_SELF; "
..and a bunch of stuff ... ?>,

putting quotation marks around $PHP_SELF; like so : "$PHP_SELF;"

Needless to say this causes parse errors. I can open the file in the HTML
tag of Front Page, eliminate the quotes and save it. When I reopen the file
the quotes have reappeared.

I have removed the file from the Front Page web, edited it using a plain
ASCII editor, then reloaded it. Guess what, the quotes magically reappear.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's Front Page 98 by the way.

For those of you who are wondering how I change these files to PHP I just
parse them after they are uploaded to the server, changing all links to
point to .php rather than .html and saving the changed files with .php
extensions.

Regards - Miles Thompson