Thanks for all the suggestions! I found something which suits me just fine
based on your ideas - wanted to share it.

The system separates most of the elements in the database (including the
e-mails) based on project. That means that the users are notified when a
project is created and given a specific e-mail address to use for that
specific project. They then use the respective e-mail address to send e-mail
messages and the system parses the "to:" field to set the proper project for
the newly uploaded e-mail. The addresses are of the form "OPT archive #7
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" for project 7 (OPT is the name of the software package).

So, my solution is simply using distinct e-mail addresses for each user of
the form "OPT *A5BD8 #7 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>", where A5BD8 would be the first
five characters in the user's hashed password in the database.

I may implement an optional high-security mechanism based on Billy's
suggestions, but I don't know if this would be actually needed for the
access level breaching this security system allows - I mean, if you do trick
the system, all you're able to do is post an e-mail. The real user you're
impersonating doesn't have any problems deleting it once logged in, so no
harm done!

Thanks again!

Bogdan