> > If you want the [ to be escaped in the regex you have to "double-escape"
> it:
> > $x = "\ \["; (sorry, the two \ should be together without a space but my
> > stupid mail-app converts the string thinking it's an network address)
> > so $x will contain "\[" as you want ( the first backslash escapes the
> > second).
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thanks very much for that, it does make sense :-)
>
> Unfortunately it still hasn't fixed the problem... I suppose my question
has
> now boiled down to "do I need to escape !, <, or - in a regex?" :-)
>
> Cheers
> Jon

here the expression again:
>>>$tags = array ("script",
>>>               "<!--<!\[CDATA\[",
>>>               "\]\]>-->");
>>>foreach ($tags as $currentTag)
>>>  if (preg_match ("/^<\/". $currentTag. "/", $content))
>>>   // do something

As far as I can see (notice: I'm not a regex-king ;) the regex seems correct
to me. The only thing I'm wondering about is the "/^<" (second last line of
the citation). Together with your expression in the array it results in
preg_match("/<\/<!\[CDATA\[/", ...)
I'm wondering if that (</<![CDATA...) is really what you want to match (and
not only <![CDATA without the trailing </).

If it's not that then I suggest you to do simple example scripts where you
have none-dynamic regex's to test if the expression works (that's the way I
do that stuff - no really because I ever think I'd THIS TIME be able to do
it without, but I haven't thought right till today ;)

lot of luck mastering your expressions
stefan rusterholz