<disclamer>
Before I get flamed for not reading the manual or trying on my own, I
would just like to say that I have been working on this for a few days
and have read the manual and looked at quite a few examples, all of
which seem to elude me.
</disclamer>

I want to upload an image, and I want to use the ftp function to do so.
I want to use the ftp functions for two reasons, (1) I have not used
them yet, and (2) I will be loading an array with a list of files to be
uploaded and I think the ftp functions are better suited for this (as
opposed to the copy function).

On to the trouble

I can connect just fine.

<?
$ftp_server = "xx.xx.xxx.xx";
$ftp_user_name = "username";
$ftp_user_pass = "password";

// set up basic connection
$conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server);

// login with username and password
$login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass);

// check connection
if ((!$conn_id) || (!$login_result)) {
        echo "Ftp connection has failed!<br>";
        echo "Attempted to connect to $ftp_server for user
$ftp_user_name<br>";
        die;
    } else {
        echo "Connected to $ftp_server, for user $ftp_user_name<br>";
    }

//The file, even if I write the path out on my own, does not upload
eventually I will have the path put in from a form.

// upload the file
$destination_file = "/public_html/valeriemacwilliam/pics/$SID_.jpg";
//(I have tried this without the beginning slash as well)

$source_file = "C:\\temp\\prestigecars\\bk_jag.jpg";

$upload = ftp_put($conn_id, $destination_file, $source_file, FTP_BINARY);

// check upload status
if (!$upload) {
        echo "Ftp upload has failed!<br>";
    } else {
        echo "Uploaded $source_file to $ftp_server as
$destination_file<br>";
    }

//Even the ftp_close(function fails and causes an error);
// close the FTP stream
ftp_close($conn_id);
?>

Are the ftp functions depreciated? I have taken this example directly
from the manual and editted the values to reflect my own situation but
none of the function calls have been editted. Usually when this is the
case I have just over looked something VERY simple and easy, please take
a look and see what you can come up with.

I would even be happy with an FAQ, I have been through the one on
PHP.NET with no joy   \C:

PHP is the lastest release running on Mandrake 8.1 (w / plenty of
horsepower)

Thank you for your time.
~Curt~