I suggest using an external tool - using PHP would probably be too slow esp.
if you're hitting 1000+ users. (Plus, I think you would have to run a lot of
clearstatcache()'s which may cause all sorts of problems)...

If you do an ls or dir or similar then you could parse the output, however
there must be a decent tool out there somewhere that runs nice and fast.