At 11:40 PM 1/2/2002 -0500, jtjohnston wrote:
>Jim,
>
>Thanks. What I don't really get is what persistent means.
>
>A problem I'm having with my mysql server is that it is a whole bunch of
>messages with in the space of 5 minutes like:
>
>020130 16:11:08  C:\PROGRA~1\EASYPHP\MySql\bin\mysqld.exe: Forcing close of
>thread 3  user: 'root'
>
>All I have to do is reload the same page a dozen times.
>
>To test out the whole thing I'm replacing all my mysql_pconnect for
>mysql_connect and adding mysql_close to force a closure of the connection.
>Scripts just didn't seem to be closing. Hence the question. It's supposed
>to be
>persistent only until the script finishes, but I can prove otherwise. A
>windows
>thing? Who knows?
>
>John

Actually, from what I understand, with the persistent connection, it is
left open even after the script is finished - that's why it's called
persistent.  Read this excerpt from the link I sent you:

mysql_pconnect() acts very much like mysql_connect() with two major
differences.
First, when connecting, the function would first try to find a (persistent)
link that's already open with the same host, username and password. If one
is found, an identifier for it will be returned instead of opening a new
connection.
Second, the connection to the SQL server will not be closed when the
execution of the script ends. Instead, the link will remain open for future
use (mysql_close() will not close links established by mysql_pconnect()).
This type of link is therefore called 'persistent'.
Note: Note, that these kind of links only work if you are using a module
version of PHP. See the Persistent Database Connections section for more
information.

-Jeff (not Jim)