Hello,

B Richards wrote:

> How many emails per hour can people generate on a typical dedicated server?
> on qmail? on smtp?

It depends on many things. Anyway, queueing is one thing and delivering
is another. Queuing and delivering from the same machine is usually slow
because it requires the server to resolve the domain and connecting with
each recipient MX to deliver the messages. If the connection is slow,
everything is stalled.

For very large recipient lists like large mailing lists sites like
eGroups, the recommended setup is at least one server for queuing the
messages in one or many others. The queuing is best achieved using QMQP.
SMTP is too slow because it degrades queuing speed exponentially with
the number of recipients.

Anyway in a network with one server for queueing (where ezmlm was) and 8
servers for delivery, it could queue 10.000 messages per minute using
SMTP. With QMQP it would be much faster queueing because it would not
expand VERP addresses and would only queue one message in the delivery
servers.

The actual delivery it depends a lot on the Internet link you have and
the connectivity with the remote servers. Bouncing and hard to connect
servers make it very slow. That is why it is important to prune the
bouncing addresses from your mailing lists.

ezmlm process is reasonably good handling bounces but I would not
recommend starting a mailing list with a large number of subscribers
without first pruning it because the last retry message that is sent to
all bouncing addresses after 11 days (1.000.000 seconds) may choke your
queuing server because it send out individual messages and if there are
many bouncing addresses that can make your machine and network choke
with very high traffic.

Trust me, I had to put up with the embarrassment of choking a newsletter
server with 1/3 of near 300.000 subscribers of MTV Brasil newsletter!
Can you imagine almost 100.000 subscribers being mailed and bouncing at
the same time. (Gulp!) Living and learning. :-)

Regards,
Manuel Lemos