Hi Joe,
  The record has other information as well, names, phone, and etc.  I like
to store everything in an array and reference to it later.  That way I don't
have to do another mysql_xxx() later for the subsequent pages...that should
save sometime, right?
  The problem has gone away once I switched back to good old Linux.  The
same code works now for both Linux and Windows...I still don't know why it
didn't work in the first place...probably the 'reliable' Windows has
something to do with it. :-)

Thanks,
Peter

"Joe Van Meer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hi Peter, are you limited to using arrays? If not, try  msql_fetch_row()
> since you are only looking for the one record, ie: the corresponding
> username and password record for the username and password that was
passed.

> Hope this helps, Joe :)
>
>  <?php
>     session_start();
>
>      include("config.php");
>      mysql_connect($host_name, $user_name, $passwd)
>                    or die("Unable to connect to $hostname.");
>      // select database on MySQL server
>      mysql_select_db($db_name) or die("Unable to select databse.");
>
>      // formulate the query
>      $sql_statement = "SELECT user_id, password FROM $table_name WHERE
>                     user_id  = '$user_id' AND
>            password = '$password'";
>
>      $result = mysql_query($sql_statement) or die("Unable to execute
> query.");
>
> //if there is a corresponding record
> if(mysql_fetch_row($result)) {
>

> $usid = mysql_result($result,0);
>  $pswd = mysql_result($result, 1);
>

> //create session variables
>
> session_register("password");
> $password = $pswd;
>
> session_register("user_id");
> $username = $usid;
>

> //echo a friendly message or use header() function to redirect the user to
> the appropriate page
> echo "Succesful login!";
> }
> else
> {
> //the user is not a registered member so redirect them to a sign up page
or
> another page to try and login again
> header("Location: signup.php");
>
> }
>
> ?>
>

> Peter Ruan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >   I am running into a problem that I can't figure out the solution to.
So