The way Google determines what language to use is by checking the
Accept-Language header which is added by your browser.

The value of this request header is stored automatically in the $_SERVER
array. Check with phpinfo() or print_r($_SERVER);

Although IP may be more reliable to determine the local language of the
visitor's country, it may not at all be the *preferred* language of the visitor.

This way the user still has full control over what language is used through
browser settings.

bvr.