what about this?

$contents = str_replace('<?xml version="1.0"?'.'>', '', $contents);

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Jarvis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 8:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PHP] escaping ?>

I'm trying to do some string replaces on XML files to import them into a
prprietary db that doesn't understand XML.

I need to strip the XML tags out of the file.

However, when I use this line:

$contents = str_replace('<?xml version="1.0"?>', '', $contents);

The ?> in the string ends my php block.

I know there's an easy answer to this, and I'm probably just suffering
from Friday afternoon burnout, but can someone let me know how to escape
those so that I can search for them in the string?

thanks,

Steven