I'm trying to figure something out and thought I'd see if you guys have any
ideas.

The goal:  tracking the number of downloads for files on the server.

The approach:  routing file downloads through /download.php like this:
        http://server/download.php?target=/myfile.zip

What I tried that worked was using javascript to launch download.php in a
new window and use a meta tag to redirect to the file in question, like this:

        print "<meta http-equiv='refresh' content='0; URL=$destination'>";

This works, but it's really slow, because it usually takes a while to open
a new browser window.

I found another approach, but couldn't get it to work:

        $content_type = "Content-type:  application/zip";
        header($content_type);
        header("Content-disposition: filename=".$filename);
        header($destination);

It seemed I got close at one point... it would open a File Save window, but
the file would end up as 0 bytes in size.

My preference is using the second approach if I can get it working, because
it's much faster than opening a new browser window.  Any ideas of how to
make it work?

Thanks,

-Ed