On Thursday 14 February 2002 16:38, Philip J. Newman wrote:
> I'm trying to make a search engine for my database of links.  I have been
> using the following.
>
> SELECT * FROM `hyperlinks` WHERE 1 AND `keywords` LIKE '%$getme%' ORDER BY
> `id` ASC LIMIT 0, 30
>
> if $getme = big trees
>
> then it would only search for key words that are there same "big trees" not
> for " big and trees"

Split up your keywords. Loop through each one to construct something like:

 SELECT * FROM `hyperlinks` WHERE 1
    AND `keywords` LIKE '%big%'
    AND `keywords` LIKE '%trees%'
  ORDER BY `id` ASC LIMIT 0, 30

This will only match when ALL the specified keywords are present. To match on
any one of the keywords construct something like:

 SELECT * FROM `hyperlinks`
  WHERE `keywords` LIKE '%big%'
     OR `keywords` LIKE '%trees%'
  ORDER BY `id` ASC LIMIT 0, 30

/*
Keep a diary and one day it'll keep you.
                -- Mae West
*/